01 / 2011

It is now 3:50am Saturday January 1, 2011 here in New Zealand. Must the far-flung islands of our one world always lead the way? Don’t be shy – at the moment 2011 is a clear night of stars with a tentative crescent moon. It is beautiful. (January 1, 2011 at 2:49)

Christmas …
all that he is
he gives
(January 2, 2011 at 10:52)

I have just been notified that three of my haiku have been accepted for publication in Notes From the Gean Vol. 2, issue #4 due out on March 1st. Thank you, dear friends, for your support and encouragement of my efforts in this sacred art. (January 2, 2011 at 15:05)

summer surf –
within its sound
I am sea
(January 3, 2011 at 5:44)

SO THAT WAS 2010
Following up on Tony Jackson’s challenge. 1. Best memory of 2010- Must I tell you every moment for I regret none. … (anuary 3, 2011 at 6:45)

summer tui –
silence suffuses
each song
(January 4, 2011 at 14:53)

a morepork
into the night
calls its name
(January 5, 2011 at 18:16)

wintry blast
parting breath from the breather
with a gun
(January 10, 2011 at 10:22)

bitter morning –
in the hawk’s talons
a rabbit’s shriek
(January 11, 2011 at 7:59)

Te Rerenga Wairua, meaning the leaping-off place of spirits. Cape Reinga is the point where the spirits of the dead enter the underworld.
It is generally considered the separation marker between the Tasman Sea to the west and the Pacific Ocean to the east. From the lighthouse it is possible to watch the tidal race, as the two seas clash to create unsettled waters just off the coast. The Māori refer to this as the meeting of Te Moana-a-Rehua, ‘the sea of Rehua’ with Te Tai-o-Whitirea, ‘the sea of Whitirea’, Rehua and Whitirea being a male and a female respectively. (January 13, 2011 at 16:49)

weathered tree
where all journeys end
clinging still
(January 13, 2011 at 21:26)

It is just after midnight on a reasonably clear but humid night. I have spent the last 20 minutes witnessing a 22° halo around the almost full moon. Is this a gift in anticipation of tropical cyclone Zelia’s visitation within the next 12 hours? (January 17, 2011 at 23:30)

32.6 degrees C (about 91 degrees F) – please send a little snow. (January 18, 2011 at 14:53)

A small haiku for all those blessed with snow in that naughty hemisphere :-
winter silence …
music attains perfection
within
(January 19, 2011 at 12:27)

Svetlana Marisova is going to fly on January 29th to the other side of the world, into winter, and into the warmth of her childhood. (January 22, 2011 at 10:21)

still waters
on the surface
a mayfly
(January 24, 2011 at 13:52)

Svetlana Marisova will not be postponing her flight which is due to land in Moscow on Sunday. I will be arriving back in New Zealand in 11th March. (January 25, 2011 at 7:23)

stillness …
even a hedgehog
awakens
(January 26, 2011 at 14:52)

distant stars …
sound of thunderclap
from one hand
(January 27, 2011 at 6:19)

down stream
drifting in my shadow
a single mayfly
and this moment marked
on the water with chalk
(January 27, 2011 at 7:07)

Bob Dylan announces Auckland, New Zealand, show for April 30. Ticket info to come! Yes <3 (January 27, 2011 at 11:24)
Much as I would like to say my goodbyes to each of you individually I cannot, but I am truly grateful for the gift each of you have been in your own way to and for me. I hope to be back in action here about six weeks from now. <3 (January 29, 2011 at 0:20)
summer sweetness –
half a worm wriggles
at the core
(January 29, 2011 at 12:08)

Ted van Zutphen: Congratulations on winning Haiku World’s January monthly kigo kukai with your excellent haiku:
first light …
out of the shadows
a deer
A well deserved accomplishment. I am so happy and excited!
… much love <3 (January 30, 2011 at 6:45)
Early morning in Dubai. After this, do I fly around to the dark side …….. of the moon? (January 30, 2011 at 14:06)